Last night, El Hubbalub and I adapted a classic French recipe known as Hunter’s Chicken to the kitchen amazement known as the 8 qt Instant Pot. This meal cost less than $8 (with leftovers) and was ready in less than 30 minutes.
Here’s the breakdown:
We used 4x chicken legs because they were on sale for about $4.50. We cut off the ickies from the baby potatoes, but left them whole so they would hold up in the Instant Pot.
1. Brown 4 chicken legs with 1 tablespoon butter in a pan. You could also use the saute function on the Instant Pot. This should take about 10 minutes to get all sides.
2. Meanwhile, chop mushrooms (we re-hydrated 2 handfuls of wild mushrooms from the giant Costco container), clean up 3 handfuls of baby potatoes, chop 1 large carrot, 3 very ripe tomatoes, and mince a couple sprigs of rosemary.
3. Place potatoes, carrots, rosemary, and tomatoes in the Instant Pot. Add browned chicken and a couple tablespoons white wine. Add 160 mL of the mushroom water to the Instant Pot.
4. Fry mushrooms in the same pan as the chicken. Add 4 cloves minced garlic. Transfer to Instant Pot.
5. Deglaze the pan with a couple tablespoons red wine and add this to the Instant Pot.
6. Set to Manual for 10 minutes.
7. I left it for 7 minutes after cooking and did a quick release.
Top with green onions and voila!